Thursday, May 24, 2007

TIGF!!! (That's Incredibly Gay Friday): Deliverance



I thought of putting up the clip of the character, Bobby Trippe (played by Ned Beatty), gets ass raped by a hillbilly, but I figured that was a bit too much for morning viewing. So, here's the "Dueling Banjos" scene from the first part of the movie. I have to admit that I love this movie. It is one of my all time favorites and it still terrifies me. The best part about the movie, and James Dickey's original novel, was how the mild mannered suburbanite Ed Gentry finds out that he's a natural born killer. He does more than survives: He turns the tables on the hunter and conquers his fear.

Of course, my favorite character has to be Lewis Medlock (played by Burt Reynolds). He is such a cocky son of a bitch, but he totally walks the walk and backs up all his machismo. The other man in the group, Drew Ballinger (played by Ronny Cox), gets points for being double jointed (see the scene where they find his dead body caught in a debris pile). The banjo boy, Lonnie (played by Billy Redden), really was from that area, and according to IMDb was ridiculed afterward for being the poster boy for inbred hillbillies everywhere. That isn't fair. Billy was tapped by Tim Burton to make a cameo as a banjo man in the movie "Big Fish". Billy also used to do "Deliverance" tours down that river but quit, due to the dangers involved (30 people have died running that river since the movie was filmed).

So, rent "Deliverance" if you want to get your TIGF on...and a one and a two and a "ber-ner neer-neer na-neer neer-nah!

7 comments:

Scary Monster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scary Monster said...

Me will be humming the first couple o' bars from dueling banjos this weekend just to see iffin me can get a rise outta someone.


Monster's Note:
Folks this be gay Friday and me only be going along with the post

STOMP

Logophile said...

Paddle faster,
I hear banjoes!

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Hey I could show you where some of the scenes were filmed. Yes, unforturnately, it was here in Georgia. Oh don't worry...there really aren't people like that around here (unless you hum Dueling Banjos or squeal like a pig) That tends to bring them out.

And yeah, the Chattooga River is a bad ass. I was planning on rafting it sometime this summer. But we'll see...it's a bit intimidating! Very beautiful area, though.

Jules said...

Is it gay that I actually have that song on my iPod? Hmmm, let's think back... WHO told me to put it on there in the first place?! ;O)

Jules said...

P.S. Mmmmm, I love me a good banjo playin'!

The Grunt said...

SM~ I knew you were up for it.

Logo~ You is funny!

O-Girl~ Yeah, I forgot to mention that it was filmed in North Georgia on the Chattooga River. I will have to take you up on that offer sometime.

Jules~ That's the risk of being my friend, dearest.