Monday, May 15, 2006

I'm A Big "Big Star" Fan: Share Time

(Chris Bell: Guitars, lead vocals; Jody Stephens: Drums, Vocals; Andy Hummel: Bass, Vocals; Alex Chilton: Guitar, Vocals)
I think, rather than go on about the group's history, that I'll just share the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. This particular song is quite significant to me at this moment in my life. Some of you might even know why, but I'll let the lyrics do the explaining for me.

THE BALLAD OF EL GOODO" (Bell/*Chilton*)--one of the best song writing teams ever, IMHO.

Years ago, my heart was set to live, oh
And I've been trying hard against unbelievable odds
It gets so hard in times like now to hold on
But guns they wait to be stuck by, at my side is God

And there ain't no one goin' to turn me 'round
Ain't no one goin' to turn me 'round

There's people around who tell you that they know
And places where they send you, and it's easy to go
They'll zip you up and dress you down and stand you in a row
But you know you don't have to, you can just say "no"

I've been built up and trusted, broke down and busted
But they'll get theirs and we will get ours if you can
Just-a hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on

Years ago my heart was set to live, oh But I've been trying hard against strong odds It gets so hard at times like now to hold on Well, I'll fall if I don't fight, and at my side is God


If any of you like good pop rock'n'roll, in the vein of The Beatles or The Kinks, and you haven't given this group a try, then do yourself a favor and buy this album:


Also, this album has the song "Down the Street" that "That 70's Show" ruined. Also, on the "Radio City" part, it has the sweet, catchy, chimey, feel-so-good tunes "September Gurls" and "Back of a Car". I'm gonna stop now.



6 comments:

Scott said...

I am on it!

Scott

Logophile said...

ooooo
methinks I like it
Nice to have something else to look at too
:p

Nessa said...

I'll check them out.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Cool lyrics! I'll have to check this out further...

Chief Scientist said...

"I'm In Love With A Girl" has pretty much been with me on LP, 8-track, cassette, CD or MP3 since 1974. So I am with you on this one.

The Grunt said...

Yes! Cash, you are officially cool in my book.