Tuesday, February 05, 2008

From Hannibal Lecter to Spiderman

Okay, I'm showing this because there is a good story behind it. I'm willing to display my pale, hairless, out of shape body to do so. At least I have a good reason why it looks that way. You can see my port-a-cath in this picture--where my IV's were hooked into me for chemotherapy and blood labs drawn (upper left chest, there's a scar and a lump).

What you are seeing here is me strapped in after just getting zapped with radiation. What's the story with the spider mask? Well, it's short but good.

Last week I was joking with one of my radiation therapists that all the radiation I was getting would give me super powers like Spiderman. She really got a kick out of my joking around with her and apparently spent some time over the weekend painting my Jason/Hannibal Lecter mask. When I came to treatment on Monday she surprised me with her creation. It made my day and then some. I guess she has done similar stuff for kids in the past but I am the first adult that she has done this for. I feel special. I really do.

Anyway, the male therapist decided to take a picture of me. I didn't know what in the hell was going on because I couldn't see much except for the flashes. Then he got me out and said to stick around and he'd get me a print out of it. He added the captions above. For you that know my real name, well, you can just substitute "man" with my name and you'll have Spider____! That is my official nickname now in the radiation oncology center at the hospital I go to.

Another thing, my head has all of this baby fuzz growing on it now. It gave me an idea. I'm going to recreate my baby photos. The nude ones will be $1,000 a piece.

14 comments:

Keshi said...

love the spiderman face on ya WOOHOO!

**The nude ones will be $1,000 a piece.

Im willing to pay more..;-)

Keshi.

Logophile said...

You are too awesome and your radiation nurse is faboo too.
I love that, Im going to have to tell my mom, she'll be so jealous.

Crystal said...

do you take checks?

Diane Mandy said...

Spidey powers or not, I find your spirit very inspirational!

Me Myself and I said...

Its people like that, who really should be working in the medical industry. What a nice way to bring a little joy and humour to your situation :)

Jules said...

Oh Great... now all day I'm gonna be going around singing Spider___, Spider___... friendly neighbourhood Spider___...

Hey... that spinning webs thing could come in really handy in certain sexual scenarios...

Clearlykels said...

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing the photo!!!

Me Myself and I said...

ha. Jules makes an excellent point!

Maddie said...

Rad! I love your radiation therapist!

NYD said...

I am really glad you haven't lost any of you sense of humor throughout all this.
It must be tough to keep the laughs up, but having a kooky therapist helps.

Keep on keeping on!

Queue_t said...

oh My gosh ! if that isn't the most awesome crafty threapist ever. you are a lucky guy- Hang in there kiddo, I know she thinks you are young at heart.

QT

Autumn Storm said...

Such a sweet thing to do. Am so glad, grunt, that you have such good people looking after you. :-)

The Grunt said...

Thanks everybody! Oh, and I do accept checks.

Karyn said...

That is too damn funny.

And if you can get yourself into a bath in the kitchen sink for your 2nd generation baby pics, that'd be worth a grand.

You ARE special, silly.