Monday, September 13, 2010

More about corn and stuff

Just in case anybody was worried that I am a misogynist, well, towards female produce stand merchants, I will tell you what really happened. I passed by a corn stand everyday going to work this summer. It didn't matter who passed the stand, when this one girl was working it, she would try and wave at anybody and anything. She also did the hula a few times, of which I thought was funny. I would sometimes go to the stand just to see what was selling and did get samples.

This girl was nice and I did have a big BBQ that I had to get stuff for (I was part of the planning committee). So I figured that I would have a great source for all of my corn needs in this particular stand, not to mention "Fresh Corn" Girl.

The day came that I needed to buy my seven dozen ears of corn. I headed down to the stand and they weren't open. I really didn't have time to dick around waiting for them to show up. There was another stand in the town just south of where I was and headed down that way. The girl there was low key, but cute and helpful--very young, though. I got my corn cheaper by a dollar a dozen less. It was really good and sweet corn as well--a big hit at the BBQ.

The next time I saw Fresh Corn Girl, I decided to tease her a bit and told her that all of her waving at me was wasted and that I bought my corn somewhere else. She actually got a bit mad at me. I told her that I felt bad and that I would buy some melons later. Well, the joke was on me: the stand closed two days later and I never got to have Fresh Corn Girl melons. Damn, now who's gonna shuck with me?

Go ahead and point out what an idiot I am.

Toodles.

8 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

You are thinking a lot of this Fresh Corn girl. Shimmy out on the branch a little more and get a good picture of her for us.

The Grunt said...

I wish I could. The stand is gone-gone, as in, done for the season. That's why I'm an idiot.

Christielli said...

Well, there's always next corn season, right?

Or maybe in a couple weeks' time she'll be selling pumpkins, and you can ask her if she's a Jack-O-Lantern pro!

Tys on Ice said...

this is bothering u, isnt it? but put ur hope high, its back next season and theres beauty in anticipation...iam sure the lords of the corn has already forgiven u, especially if u got a better bargain

vera said...

in the same vein as christielli... maybe she'll sell christmas trees in the winter. be on the look out for a christmas tree stand this winter... but even if it isn't her and the xmas tree seller is cute, go for it, luv...
/vera <3

Sun Follower said...

Corn and melons are like buses... another one will come 'round sooner or later. However, take heed of the best fortune cookie insert I ever got - "he who hesitates.... loses" Carpe Deim next time, my friend.

Jules said...

Nah, you're not an idiot. She'll be back next year! You can try for those melons then....

Evan said...

I agree with Julie and sunflower. Keep an eye out for a pumpkin or Xmas tree stand and if she isn't there look for another set of melons. That sounded better in my head!!